Tales of a supernova's daughter.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Of Ghosts, Waves and Singers


Ahh, the holidays are over. But, I do feel like I had a chance this year to immerse myself in their flavor, instead of standing ankle-deep, desperate and grasping, as they wash over me like a passing wave. It's the first time in awhile that I felt spirited. I am excited about winter! I feel compelled to hunker down and read adventuresome survival stories, or Anne Frank's diary, or Laura Ingalls Wilder's account of her youthful life. I'm eager and inspired.

Kiska, my little white kitty, fascinates me endlessly. She's a ghost of a cat - about 2 years old, yet only weighs about 6 lbs. She's small enough that 6 lbs. looks healthy rather than gaunt, and she has a very delicate face, itty paws and long legs. Her tail is so long that it wraps completely around the front of her body when she's sitting. It's also very curly and strong, like a marsupial's tail. She wouldn't be quite so fascinating if she weren't so flighty; the little smidges of shy affection she gives me make me want to pick her up and hold her close to tell her how much I love her... But she'd never forgive me. I will have to settle for admiring her musical, fluting chirps when she says, "hi, I'm happy to see you!" and enjoying her brief snuggles against my hand. She sleeps pressed up against me.

Steven auditions tonight for the role of the primary tenor gondolier, Marco, in Gilbert & Sullivan's The Gondoliers. If he gets that role, and if another singer we know (from Hot Mikado), recieves the role of Marco's brother Giuseppe, (a baritone and not a rival) and if the soprano (also from Hot Mikado) who worked across from Steven when he was in Yeomen last year gets the soprano role she's going for in Gondoliers, the show will be fabulosity.

It takes a certain kind of personality to enjoy getting up solo in front of an audience to sing. It takes a certain kind of arrogance to be content to make people pay to attend. :D

Friday night and Saturday were recovery days after New Year hijinks... We slept for 12 hours on Friday night, and took a 2-hour Nap O'Doom after waking up and eating breakfast. We went out for dinner both nights, and then watched There Will Be Blood. Which was engaging and affective and frankly awesome.

Yesterday was a bit more lively, at least for me! I went to core, where there were 12 of us ready and willing to pay to get our asses kicked for two hours. Same old blend of surprises - cardio, strength training, fighting drills and pain, pain, pain! It took me all afternoon to recover, and then we were invited along with Lovely and Roony to my parents', for white bean chicken chili soup. We arrived to find them in the midst of a heated argument over the recipe. From what I gathered, my mom had screwed it up when she made it on Christmas Day, which had improved the soup. My father, not knowing this, had begun to make it the correct way. Bad move, buster. You're going to screw up, and you have to do it properly.

4 comments:

Metricula said...

Oh! Phil and I also watched There Will Be Blood right after New Year's!

Shinseiko said...

what did you think of it?

Metricula said...

We'd also seen it when it was in theatres. I enjoyed it very much, even the second time. I like the larger-than-life characters and the sadness of the story once you take away the humor. The landscapes were also beautiful in blu-ray. :)

Shinseiko said...

it's the story of somebody who, while winning and losing at the same time, revels in both the winning AND the losing. can somebody lose with complete success?

the "protagonist" (?) is completely incomprehensible to me.