This article from the New York Times discusses the intersections of history, school curriculum and Christianity. It infuriates me. I am baffled and confuzzled by both the ultra-right and the ultra-left on this issue, but it terrifies me that the ultra-right currently has a pretty firm grip upon the nation's public school curriculum via the Texas State Board of Education.
If you've been reading here long, you'll know that I embrace all religious belief systems, as long as they uphold honesty, integrity, equality, love, truth, kindness. The fact that these sometimes uninformed, politically-crowned decision makers rely upon their personal convictions as the foundation for attempts to brainwash children... Where are the historians in all of this? Where are the scientists, and the teachers and the professors? Horrendous. I really like the phrase "living constitution," but then again, I am a proponent of evolution. The world is not the same place as once it was, and should be dealt with/approached/conceptualized accordingly. However I may support the principles of many religious belief systems, I do NOT believe that our children should be force-fed pseudo-scientific, quasi-historical, twisted, rehashed, propaganda'ed concepts espoused by the most powerful religious group.
Bah! I could go on like this for days. Just read the article.
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment