I almost flipped my car. This is not an exaggeration - only luck (and my previous career as an F1 racer) prevented my car from transmogrifying, courtesy of physics, into a crumpled heap.
On my way back from kung fu tonight, I was traveling at about 55 mph toward Raleigh on Capital Blvd. in misting rain, when I decided to get some fruits and veggies at the store. I planned to take the Peace St. exit, but I didn't expect it to loom up so quickly in the thick fog - I tried to veer onto it, but I lost control. Completely! At first, I was quite sure I'd be flipping the car to the drivers' side, so I yanked the wheels in the direction I was traveling, which only made it pretty likely that I'd be flipping over the passenger's side - a more pleasant scenario, since I wouldn't be flinging myself over an embankment and into traffic if I went that way. Then I lost enough momentum that I didn't feel in danger of flipping, but the car was still completely out of control and spinning. I did a complete 360, went over the curb during part of the rotation and came to an embarassed halt in the middle of a triangular piece of grass.
And then it was like being on really awesome drugs for about 15 minutes afterward.
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment