I want to confess something horrible.
There are people who are unbelievably successful and sheltered and naive and beautiful. A part of me wants them to fail, to be exposed to the ugliness in the world, to know rage and pain and fear, just for a little while. Until then, I don't know how they can ever understand anything.
I am so unenlightened.
1 year ago
2 comments:
I struggle with that. When I scraped tooth and nail to secure my school funding and living expenses without taking out massive loans (and my final school debt is wonderfully manageable so it was so worth it), I try to remember how lucky I am that I learned to take care of myself financially.
I see people whose parents paid for school and pay for their apartments and what have you and I try to think, "Good for them" and move on. Dwelling on it just drives me crazy because I can't comprehend how their life experience could be different from mine and still have understanding and richness. The short fall is really mine, not theirs.
Sorry to keep jabbering but this really got me thinking.
It reminds me of what one of my acquaintances said about her "New York Experience."
She was complaining that with rent in NYC coming down and apartments being slightly easier to come by that people weren't really getting the New York Experience. Bu then she conceded that what it really meant was that they weren't getting her New York Experience.
Post a Comment