Signs are usually truthful indications of what one can expect. Watching the unedited version of Lust, Caution in the company of S, his brother and his parents was kind of hilarious! I liked it and thought it was well done, although I despise the two main characters for their lack of conviction. I can't decide which is worse: Truly believing in something misguided, or neglecting to believe in anything at all.
The whole point of belief is to transcend oneself. If one's belief is a hobby, if one uses it to define one's group identity to feel self-righteously indignant, or to have an excuse to despise, hurt or manipulate others... It's wrong. It's petty and simple and selfish. But if one neglects to choose to believe in anything and others are hurt because of it...? That's just lamentable.
I've been halfway writing posts for the past three days, and now I have three pointless, boring, unpublished conglomerations of nonsense lined up as drafts. One of them is a really sappy piece of work that I got disgusted with because a) it's irreverent and almost impossible to express certain concepts in words, and b) why should I? The party that matters already knows and understands. The second one is kind of a lewd, hilarious, more descriptive, less-thoughtful version of the first paragraph in THIS post. I try not to be TOO lewd in this here blog, since I'm sure all sorts of family members read it and I must prove that I have an above-average sense of decorum, at least in the public sphere. :X Annnd the third draft is a factual, clinical summation of my weekend, which included:
- Sleep, finally.
- Hours of Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and walnuts, all made from scratch (including the walnuts).
- Sushi!
- Long-distance runs.
- French toast. The food (there's a slang term for everything nowadays and I'm trying to cut back on the ambiguity).
I miss my Redhead, her Shadowrunner and poor, overworked Batman, who has holed himself up somewhere with his textbooks. He's taking the bar this month and I think he might be dying of law school. I've been uncharacteristically (?) emotionally-intense for the past few weeks. I think I've learned more about myself in the past year than I have in the preceding decade.
I have also discovered the wonder of sweet potatoes. Now all I need is a saucepan big enough to boil some for myself. :\ I swear, I still live like a college student when it comes to food procurement. This morning for breakfast I had wheat bread dipped in vanilla yogurt. I call this simple delight "yogbread," or "yogbredd" in Norwegian. I haven't come up with versions for any other languages yet - feel free to offer suggestions. If I do someday succeed in boiling sweet potatoes, don't be surprised if I mix them with scrambled eggs or something and eat the combo in a sandwich for lunch.
You know what is irrationally irksome to me? When people post vague, wistful, self-indulgent emo Facebook statuses (stati?) to elicit sympathetic reactions. Thoroughly tasteless.
1 year ago
3 comments:
Ah, but in norwegian it'd probably beeeee....
Jogbredd.
Walnuts from scratch are my favourite.
banh sua chua (Vietnamese yogbredd)!
You should try making your own sweet potato fries :)
Apologies for the many past (and probably future) times I have posted my vague, wistful, self-indulgent emo Facebook stati. I'm not always able to restrain myself from a little virtual hug-fishing.
<3, RH
Steven - you're the expert on all things norseishly!
RH - oh man, you are SO not guilty of that. when you're wistful and self-indulgently emo (and we all are!) you are sincere and definitely not tastelessly vague. I'm referring to folks who pull stunts like changing their relationship statii (?) falsely to see who will reply in order to gauge who their REAL friends are. guh. ::headdesk::
bahaha! virtual hug fishing. :D :D it's going into the dictionary!
Post a Comment