After what was supposed to be a half-hour lesson extended to nearly an hour, my piano teacher gave me such a wonderful compliment.
L told me that she really enjoys teaching me already, and that she loves my questions. She let me know that few of her students understand and appreciate subtleties, and that it's a joy for her to be able to delve into them.
This, after what I thought was one of my more unsubtle demonstrations! She asked me if I'd be interested in performing on June 20th - perhaps some Bach... Or maybe accompany Steven in Poulenc's C'est ainsi que tu es. To play either of those flawlessly, no problem. To perform them... Another story. I'm so piano shy that it's difficult for me to ignore his presence when he's in the room, much less listening and SINGING.
Maybe I should make it my goal. Scary.
I am so eager to learn this stuff! I bought an awesome sustain pedal for my piano, which makes Chopin's waltzes so fun. L has strong opinions about the pedal work in some phrases and is less concerned about others. She decided that my intuitive on-the-fly pedaling sounds damn good, and that I shouldn't bother too much with the marked pedal expressions in certain places.
I had forgotten that Bach wrote his inventions for harpsichord and I can take Busoni's (the arranger) expression marks with a grain of salt, since harpsichords have no capability for expression. ;)
1 year ago
2 comments:
Yes yes! Let's do it! Steven wants to sing for your brilliant piano teacher/composer who's interested in how he sounds. ;)
There's no better way to get over stage fright than simply going out and doing it time after time. Good luck! I'd love to come see you perform but unfortunately I'm at a chamber music festival that weekend (5 days of just sight reading as much chamber music as possible). But, hopefully you'll have other performances? :-)
Post a Comment