So, on Friday at 4:30, D and I embarked on our adventure to Charlotte with a fun red-headed friend, and another unwanted friend (D's cold). We stopped for salads and a baconator (D) at Wendy's for dinner on the way, and arrived at UNCC at around 7:30, where I changed into my Little Black Dress and had TONS OF FUN dancing and watching showcases by Inga & Robertas (samba, rumba, jive?) and Jonathan and Malin (American smooth). I had a migraine that I was desperate to ignore! D was not feeling good at all and I worried about how he'd do on Saturday, dancing constantly... We retired to a friend's house at around 11:30 or so and played Wii and chatted for about 1.5 hours before going to bed.
I woke up at 7:30 on Saturday and chatted with friend's parents, the Redhead, and others on the dance team, had a banana nut muffin, before finally showering and waking D up - he was feeling much better. We got organized and headed over to the comp, which was already in full swing with American rhythm heats. I took LOADS of pictures and quickly overloaded my camera, and spent awhile going through and deleting ones in which people weren't hitting pretty lines. I must have taken hundreds of pictures of D and his partner (I'll call her Lavender, since that was the color of her satin standard dress) dancing standard in the morning, and then Latin in the afternoon. D was absolutely exhausted and so was Lavender, but you'd never be able to tell, watching his jive, which was the most fun! After dancing quarter-finals, semi-finals, and then finals all in a row, anybody would be out of breath. I'm still hoarse from howling (har), and screaming the numbers of the DWW team couples. Redhead and another friend and I went out for Greek for lunch (awesome!), and there was a successful coffee foray, which made me almost unbearably hyper for most of the afternoon.
The whole team (there must have been 25+ of us!) all met at Zapata's after the comp, a little Mexican place that we'd never be able to find without Redhead's marvelous intuition. We were the first people there, so we got the best seats, but OUR FOOD CAME LAST AND I WAS THIS CLOSE TO HITTING SOMEBODY IF HE/SHE DIDN'T BRING ME FOOD IMMEDIATELY. We left after picking up our stuff from our friend's house. Intelligent and fun conversation on the way home with two of our three car-ride companions (the 3rd didn't say a word for three whole hours), and I crashed almost as soon as we walked through the door upon arriving home.
Yesterday morning consisted of frantic cleaning and scrubbing in preparation for our Super Bowl party! We were both rooting for the Giants, but we had a mixed crowd, which made things interesting. I mopped the kitchen floor, he vacuumed, etc., and we went to the store to buy junk food and all that. I think I ate most of my allotted junk food about 2 hours before the actual game, and ate very little during it. One of our friends brought a very dangerous substance - puppy chow, which consists of Chex cereal coated in chocolate and peanut butter melted together, and then dusted with powdered sugar. Delicious. So much for ketosis for the next couple days! I had work to do, so I opened up my laptop and finished it up in about 4-5 hours of overtime, which I'm not paid for, but which becomes future vacation time. It's a fantastic policy.
A successful weekend. There's a 5K this weekend that I was planning on running in, but I'm so exhausted from the past couple weekends that I think I'm ready for some seriously uninterrupted R & R, which means the option of sleeping in until 1 PM without having to wake up early, get in running suit, and run about 3 miles before being able to come back and crash. It's hard to crash after a 3 mile run, anyways. I'm not sure what I'll decide to do yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment