Yves Rossy rocks my world. Watching those videos lifts my heart and sets it pounding. Sometimes I marvel at humanity's reckless abandon. We're odd creatures, but we're worth saving.
And a breakthrough last night with Kiska! I spent most of yesterday lounging in my apartment (I did run my usual daily 4-5 mi., took care of some errands, eventually went out for dinner, and then to watch some choice SNL skits with my parents), trying to coax Kiska out of her hiding place. I spent at least a couple of hours simply sitting beside her, talking softly to her and repeating her name (KEE-ska). I once heard that cats and other relatively intelligent animals have an easier time hearing and remembering hard consonants, which is only part of the reason why I picked Jesper and Kiska as names.
I'd never seen Kiska eat; I've only found her empty food and treat bowls and used litter in her litter box. Yesterday evening, I took a spoonful of wet food and held it out to her. At first, she just sat there, ignoring it, but she began to lick her lips as if she was hungry. I put the spoon on the floor and she dove for it, and allowed me to scratch her face and pet her head while she devoured the treat. She stopped midway through and looked up at me, so I commenced scratching her ears, and she ate the rest of it.
Jesper is so cute around her. He occasionally takes a break from his furious rampaging and goes into the kitchen to peek in on her. He whispers to her. I wonder what he says. Hopefully, something like, "See? Our lady isn't scary, I sleep with my butt on her face and I'm not dead yet," and not "Look over there: That's the cord I've been working on, I've almost chewed all the way through. If you come out and help we'll get the job done even faster! I think we can blow a fuse!"
I had a rough night last night in terms of uninterrupted sleep - I was pretty relaxed, but I kept waking up and hearing Kiska moving around and exploring the kitchen. It looks like we have another bunny on our hands - a kitty that digs to China in the litter box, spraying litter across the room.
1 year ago
3 comments:
The same is true when birds learn to mimic speech. A word like "hello" is actually pretty hard for them not only to articulate but also to distinguish when compared to "cutie" or "kitty."
It's so rewarding the first time something flies to you and eats out of your hand of its own volition.
My Russian is very bad, but:
Киска: какое милое имя!
Awww…I think Jessy has a new companion.
:)
And until just now, I thought you were making up that “I wanna strap a jet engine on my back” stuff! Um yeah, so Yves Rossy and his FusionMan team are seriously impressive. I’d ALMOST make an exception for that adventure. Damn.
Batman
very happy that they get along! can't wait to meet her :)
-RH
Post a Comment