Tales of a supernova's daughter.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Terrible, Awful, No Good Very Bad Day

EDIT 2: Crisis averted. I called my contact and faxed the signature page. All is well on that front.

EDIT: Yes, it really was that bad. I realize now that I forgot to sign the employment application. The position closed yesterday at 5p.

Eh, it wasn't that bad. Worse than most, though, and my threshold for the "bad day" category is quite high.

Bluh. All I see on Facebook are pictures and videos from the Manhattan Amateur Classic. Kids who started dancing after me have surpassed me in knowledge of figures. I need some intensive private tutelage, and soon, or I'm going to mentally kick myself in the head to death.

If I could redo a day, I'd pick yesterday. Remember all of those zillions of parking tickets that I've evaded since 2008? Well, I finally got busted and had to cough up $415. In cash, maybe a half hour after finding my car booted. It's only money and I'm not exactly poor, but it could have been avoided if I hadn't been so engrossed in my work, for once. I completely forgot that I'd parked my car in the street to bring some materials up to one of my team members, got sucked into the work, and when I went back to move the car to my parking space (which is a good 10-15 minute walk from my building)... Ugh.

My piano lessons are now right after work at 4:30, but I was late since I had to wait around to have the boot removed, submitted an employment application to another organization and then had to pick up a prescription. If I get this job (unlikely, since when it opened the first time 3 months ago there were almost 160 applicants), I'd be responsible for work that is much closer to what I'd actually like to do with my career; mediation, negotiation, etc. I don't regret that submission.

When I got home at 5:30, I chatted for a bit online, set my alarm for 6:45 and crashed on the sofa. I woke up restless, eager to move, needing to do something - good thing too, since Latin technique would be at 9:00 at Elite. I cleaned both bathrooms, mopped the kitchen floor, and finished a few other chores before leaving. I was pretty excited, nervous, and significantly ashamed. I'd have to reveal to the others how stagnant I have become. The masochist in me was eager to suffer a little bit. The happy-go-lucky in me was eager to forget all the comparisons and start focusing on my own personal progress. All of my multiple personalities would be satisfied!

I arrived at Elite at 8:45, and K, one of the teaching assistants, looked at me askance and asked me why I was there. I told her it was for the State group lesson, and she spoke with Inga for a minute. Then she returned and told me that the lesson had been cancelled recently and rescheduled for next Tuesday. Curses. I'm not usually one to worry much about the proceedings of social interactions or dwell upon rejection, but I have to admit that I felt slightly abandoned. My fault though, since I hadn't told anybody that I'd be showing up randomly at the group lesson - I'd only hinted at it to J last week.

So I left. I was so troubled about the day as I drove the 25-minute trip home that I didn't play any music. I got stuck behind a granny driver and putzed along at 35 in a 55. I think it was karma attempting to force patience and calm upon me. I don't deal well with micromanagement, even if it's karma.

And then, (oh woe is me! alas! pity me! ::snark::) I got a terrible headache and went to bed at 10p.

I can't believe I have a "parking" label for blog posts.

No comments: